If you were to ask me for a recipe for Taco Casserole, this is what I would give you. I’ve been making it for years because everyone loves it. My kids are encouraged to pile their plates high with taco casserole when they have friends over on Friday nights. It is also great made with turkey instead of beef if you prefer that.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 16 oz can, refried beans
- 1 pack taco seasoning
- 2 cup Mexican cheese blend shredded cheese
- 2 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Black olives, as desired
- 2 cup crushed tortilla chips plus a little more for topping
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef and drain the grease. Combine the refried beans, taco seasoning, and salsa in a mixing bowl. Cook for 5 minutes before turning off the heat.
- Spread 2 cups tortilla chips around the bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Evenly distribute the meat mixture on top. 1 1/2 cup cheddar, 1/2 cup green onions, and 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes go on top. Preheat oven to 350°F and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with the remaining green onions, tomatoes, olives, a few more chips, and the remaining tortilla chips.