Have you ever craved a fancy breakfast but thought it was beyond your capabilities or required special kitchen equipment?
Well, if you have a medium-sized frying pan you can make your own fancy breakfast, and eat it too.
- 1 large russet potato, diced
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/4” rounds
- 4 ounces chipotle salsa (see notes)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fire-roasted corn kernels
- 1 ounce sharp cheddar, grated
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1 pinch cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1 pinch chili powder
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 8 eggs, fried (see notes)
- 1 avocado, sliced (1/4 per serving)
- 1/2 ounce cotija cheese, crumbled
- Chopped cilantro
- Warm corn tortilla
- Preheat the oven to 425f. Toss diced potatoes
with 1 Tablespoon olive oil, a small pinch of salt,
pepper, cumin, and chili powder. Mix thoroughly.
Arrange one layer on a greased baking tray
Bake for 20 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking add the remaining oil to
a cast iron skillet. Fry the onions over medium heat until they wilt, then add the zucchini,
remaining cumin, and chilli powder. Continue to
saute until zucchini is almost cooked through.
- Add salsa and beans. Bring the heat down to
medium-low and turn the oven down to 350f. Cook
beans, salsa, and zucchini for 5 minutes, then top
with potatoes and cheese.
- Put the tray in the oven and leave until the cheese melts.
Serve topped with two fried eggs, 1/4 avocado and
sprinkled with cotija cheese.
Optional: sprinkled also with chopped cilantro and warm corn
Notes: any medium heat salsa will work, but I
absolutely love the strong, zesty flavors in the
chipotle garlic salsa I’ve been able to find here.
This skillet is best with an over medium, over easy, or sunny-side-up fried egg; in other words an egg
with a liquid yolk. Unless liquid egg yolk really
squicks you out I highly recommend it. It really
makes a world of difference