Easy Buttermilk Cornbread
The perfect complement to chili, soups, or stews is classic sweet simple buttermilk cornbread with a dash of honey! Crispy, buttery edges and the most incredibly soft, fluffy center!
This buttermilk cornbread recipe is quick and easy to make, and you’ll want to make it again and again!!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (or polenta)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (or white granulated sugar)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk shake before measuring
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius | 400 degrees Fahrenheit and place a rack in the middle.
- Butter a 9-inch cast iron pan or a 9-inch square baking dish lightly and heat it in the oven. (Alternatively, cook 1/2 cup unmelted butter in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat until melted, then remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly before adding to the batter.)
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing basin.
- Make a hole in the center of the cake and pour in the milk, honey, and eggs.
- Mix until smooth, then add the melted butter that has somewhat cooled. Remix until everything is well blended.
- Using oven mitts, carefully remove the ‘hot’ pan or dish from the oven and carefully pour the batter into it.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cornbread begins to golden on top (about 20-23 minutes).
- Allow for a 10-minute cooling period before slicing and serving.