Croque Monsieur. Simplicity at its best, but she can’t stop longing for it.
One of my kids’ favorite choices. It is one of our favorite meals at home. It’s a simple and fun dish that we all love.
Butter: Don’t skip it, that’s what makes Croque Monsieur a delicious dish.
You can either smear the bread that will be facing the cooking tray, on both sides. Or you can place a piece on the cooking tray and place the bread on top of it.
Crust or not Crust? This is my choice. Try it out in both options and see which one you prefer. I love the crust, but sometimes may not.
Bechamel and Cheese: be as generous as you wish and cover the whole slice of bread, you won’t regret it.
- 2 slices of French bread
- Gruyere cheese
- thinly Turkey slices
- bechamel cream
- Gruyere, grated
- BECHAMEL CREAM
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper
FOR THE BECHAMEL CREAM
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and stir together until smoothly blended.
- Add milk gradually and whisk constantly until blended and no lumps are formed.
- Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper
FOR THE CROQUE MONSIEUR
- Brush slices of bread with butter and fill with layers of Gruyere cheese and slices of turkey.
- On a skillet over medium heat add a dot of butter and place the Croque monsieur over it and brown lightly both sides.
- Place the Croque monsieur on a cookie sheet, top with bechamel cream and some gruyere cheese.
- Broil until the cheese melts and turns golden.