Stir-fried Italian sausage, onions, and peppers is a comforting dish full of flavour. It’s the perfect dish for a busy weekday dinner, weekend brunch, or game day party. Besides being low in carbs, gluten-free, paleo, and fully 30 compliant, this dish is also low in sugar.
- 2 large yellow onions, I peeled and sliced them into rings.
- 2 large sliced bell peppers, about ¼-inch thick, red and yellow bell pepper.
- A medium Pkg. Of chicken or turkey sausages, fully cooked reduced-fat.
- Cooking spray.
- 3 small spoons.Of olive oil.
- ¼ small spoons.Of dried oregano.
- ¼ small spoons.Of dried basil.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- 2 small spoons.Of minced fresh garlic.
- A large spoons.Of Balsamic vinegar.
- First, you need to add the cut onions and bell peppers to a large microwave-safe mixing bowl and mix well. Cook on high for 8-10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, cut the four sausages into thin slices, approximately 14 inches thick, and set them. Cooking spray should be sprayed over a big nonstick skillet. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, or until the sausage pieces are lightly browned on both sides. Stir the mixture often. Transfer the sausages to a serving dish.
- Spray the Cooking spray, and pour 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, then add in the sautéed onions and bell peppers, along with the oregano, basil, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook, turning often, over medium-high heat for approximately 10 minutes, or until the veggies are tender and slightly caramelized on the edges. Adding an additional teaspoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of water if the pan becomes too dry is an option.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, or until the garlic is aromatic and tender. Return the sausages to the pan and cover them with a lid.
- Add a large spoon of balsamic vinegar. Continue to simmer, stirring constantly, until the mixture is well warmed and well mixed, approximately 2 minutes more than you think it should take.
- Prepare a plate by arranging the sausages, peppers, and onions. And serve with a side of mustard and, if preferred, toasted bread or rolls on the side.