I love potatoes with anything but potatoes and bell peppers, they are such a delightful combination that I can’t wait for big, crunchy bell peppers to come in season to make Aloo Shimla Mirch.
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 Bell peppers, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan, add onion and saute over medium heat until soft but not golden.
- Add the crushed garlic and all the spices. Fry for a few seconds or until fragrant.
- Add potatoes and a quarter cup of water.
- Cover the mixture and leave it to simmer over a medium low heat until the potatoes are soft
- Add the tomatoes, cover again, and simmer until the tomatoes soften and release their juice.
- Add the bell pepper and cook, covered, until the tomato juice is reduced to a sauce-like consistency and the bell pepper is no longer mushy.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and green chili.
- Serve hot with roti or steamed rice.