Couscous is a traditional dish that Moroccan people usually make on Fridays because it’s the day when the whole family gathers together.
Not only that it also tops the list of Moroccan foods for special occasions, it can be served at weddings, dinner party or when having guests at home, it’s a choice that you won’t regret because it’s loved by kids and adults. Some people even consider it a sign of generosity, since it contains so many healthy things.
There are many types of couscous according to each region, but the couscous with vegetables is the most famous of them all. It is called “couscous with seven vegetables” which indicates that the couscous plate contains seven different vegetables on top.
today we’ll make couscous that is usually preferred by people in Morocco couscous with vegetables.
Couscous with seven vegetables
- couscous cook pot
- 500 g beef
- 700 g couscous
- 400 g onions
- 150 g carrots
- 150 g turnip
- 150 g zucchini
- 200 g pumpkin
- 150 g cabbage
- 200 g chickpeas soaked in water overnight and boiled
- 50 g raisins
- cilantro and parsley
- black pepper
- fried almonds
- 100 ml oil
- we will be using the couscous cook pot for this. It has two parts: the bottom we use to prepare meat and the top to steam the couscous.
- First, we put 500 grams of meat inside the pot, we add one teaspoon of salt, one teaspoon of black pepper, one spoon of ginger, one spoon of turmeric, one chopped onion, and 100 ml of oil, we mix for a few seconds and we add 1L of boiled water, then we let it cook from 30 to 45 minutes.
- In an empty pot we put 400g of sliced onions, 1/2 cup of oil, a little bit of salt, black pepper, turmeric, 100 ml of water, we also add around 50g of raisins, 200g of chickpeas that has already been soaked in water overnight and boiled. Mix them and let it cook until it absorbs all the water, then add two spoons of sugar and a half teaspoon of cinnamon, let it cook for around 10 minutes and it's done.
- Go back to check the meat. Then, peel the carrots, trim the ends and cut them into quarters, peel the turnip and cut it into quarters. Trim the ends of the zucchini and cut them into quarters, chop the cabbage and remove the edges. And finally cut the pumpkin remove the seeds and cut it into pieces, but not too small. Add the carrots, the turnip, and the cabbage into the meat, don't add all the vegetables at the same time.
- After that prepare the couscous wash and drain 700g of couscous, add three spoons of oil and a little bit of salt, and mix. Put it in the top of the couscous pot, and then put the top over the bottom, and steam it for around 30 minutes. Once it's over we put the couscous on a large plate we pour 1/2 cup of water on top of it and we mix, let it rest for at least 15mins. Add the rest of the vegetables to the meat pot. And also add the fresh parsley and cilantro without cutting them because we need to take them out at the end. Then, put the top over and steam the couscous again for 30mins.
- Finally when it's ready, on a large plate put the couscous. Then, check if meat and vegetables are ready and taste the sauce to adjust salt if it's needed.
- once it's done remove the parsley and cilantro, first pour some of the meat broth over the couscous. And we place the meat in the center, add the vegetables around the meat, and on top of it, we add the raisins and the chickpeas that we have prepared. And to decorate we add fried almonds. You may also add boiled eggs to give it a good look and make it more nutritious if you want to.