Cheesy American Goulash
This recipe is based on the classic American goulash recipe. The dish was made famous by the lunchroom ladies in the school cafeterias and hasn’t changed much since the 1950s.
You can fold it into tortillas, top it with tots or fries, serve it over pasta, or include it as a side dish with steak. It’s real wholesome comfort food that everyone feels nostalgic about.
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 2 cups pasta
- 1 onion – small or ½ medium
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 14 ½ oz diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp basil
- 2 tsp seasoning salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (convection) or 375 degrees Fahrenheit (conventional). Meanwhile, boil 1 pound of pasta in salted water.
- Over medium-high heat, brown 1 pound of ground beef.
- 1 small or 1/2 medium onion, chopped Add the onion to the ground beef approximately 5 minutes into the cooking process, then two garlic cloves, minced or smashed, to the burger in the final few minutes of cooking. When you’re finished cooking, drain.
- PAM a two-and-a-half-quart baking dish.
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce, 14 1/2 oz diced tomatoes, 1 teaspoon basil, 2 teaspoon seasoning salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to baking dish Mix thoroughly.
- Combine the ground meat and noodles in a large mixing bowl.
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, stirred in
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese on top
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy.