Since this is actually vegetarian, it is a stretch to call it a cassoulet.
I’ve used white beans, finished it with a buttery crumb topping, and for the first time ever cooked my beans entirely in the oven.
So, we could probably say it was inspired by the Cassoulet.
intensely. We can also say about this baked bean dish that it is very tasty.
If I could have this every day, I might be persuaded to give up meat.
- 1 lb great northern, cannellini or navy beans
- 1 cup mirepoix
- 1/2 leek, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons minced Italian (flat leaf) parsley
- 32 ounces vegetable stock
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves + 5 sprigs
- 2 zucchini, sliced into 1″ thick pieces
- 4 small carrots, in 1″ slices
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Crumb topping:
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Soak the covered beans in 6 – 8 cups of cold water for at least 8 hours. Heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Remove 3 sprigs of thyme from the leaves and discard the stems.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Stir zucchini and carrots with butter, thyme, salt, and pepper, and place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Place the remaining two sprigs of thyme in the center.
- Grill for 15 minutes.
- Set aside to cool. Reduce the oven to 325.
- In a Dutch oven or similar saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Add the mirepoix, shallots, parsley, thyme, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook until translucent (3 minutes).
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Scrape to remove the caramel pieces from the bottom.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, drained beans, chopped tomatoes, bay leaf, and water to cover the beans.
- Cover the pot and cook in the oven for two hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the crumbs: melt the butter and mix With breadcrumbs and thyme, a pinch of salt and pepper. Carefully remove the Dutch oven, and mix the roasted zucchini and carrots.
- Raise the heat to 350 degrees.
- Cover with a layer of breadcrumbs and return to the oven, uncovered. Bake until breadcrumbs turn golden (about 15 – 20 minutes).