If you’re craving a big pot of southern gumbo, but don’t have the time to make it the traditional way, try this slow cooker version instead. It won’t taste exactly like the recipe your grandma used to make, but it will be enough to satisfy your cravings!
- 2 cups chopped okra fresh or frozen
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp deveined
- 2 lbs crab leg clusters
- 1 lb andouille sausage chopped
- 2 lbs chicken your favorite piece
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 large green bell pepper diced
- 3 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tablespoon gumbo file
- In a 6 quart pot, combine the tomato paste and chicken broth and stir well.
- The chicken, andouille sausage, onions, bell peppers, okra, garlic, creole seasoning, and black pepper are then added.
- Preheat the slow cooker on high and cook for 4 hours.
- Add the crab and shrimp after everything has been cooking for 3 hours.
- Replace the lid on the slow cooker and stir the ingredients again.
- During the last 15 minutes of cooking, add the gumbo file and toss it in.
- Serve with rice, cornbread, and hot sauce after the gumbo is done.