I love shrimp and I love spicy food, so this recipe is perfect for me!
The shrimp cakes are moist and tender with a crispy, cheesy crust. They’re packed with lots of flavor from the garlic, lemon zest, and Old Bay seasoning. The fresh lemon juice and lemon aioli give them the perfect tangy finish.
For the Shrimp Cakes/ Fritters:
- 1 lb large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, (1 1/2 cups shredded)
- 2 Tablespoons parsley, finely chopped, plus more to garnish
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 2 Tablespoons light olive oil or high heat cooking oil of choice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
For the Lemon Aioli Sauce:
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or finely minced
To Make Shrimp Cakes:
- Lightly tap the shrimp with a paper towel to dry and cut it into pea-sized pieces.
- In a large mixing basin, combine the diced shrimp. Add 4 ounces of finely chopped mozzarella cheese, 1 egg, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons of parsley, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of peppercorn. Stir together, then add 1/4 cup flour and mix until the batter becomes creamy and mixes well.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium to high heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add 1 tablespoon (or ice cream level scoop) at a time and flatten the top of the donut so that it is about 1/2 inch thick putty. Fry for about 3 minutes on one side or until the edges are golden.
To Make Lemon Aioli Sauce:
Place the mayonnaise in a small bowl and stir to remove lumps. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon zest, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and crushed garlic cloves and stir.