Believe it or not, sliced pickled beets are great in hamburgers. In fact, pickled beets are often served in Australia and even fried eggs on top of the burger. But if a beet burger isn’t for you, it’s also nice in salads or sautéed in butter as a side dish.
- 8 medium fresh beets
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Place in a Dutch oven; add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from water; cool. Peel beets and slices; place in a bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, cloves, allspice, and salt. Bring to a boil; boil 5 minutes.
- Pour over beets. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Drain before serving.