Banana Upside Down Cake
Banana Upside Down Cake is a delicious cake that’s quick and easy to make. It uses ripe bananas that are perfectly ripe enough to take a bite out of them. It can be made the Banana Upside Down ahead of time and it can be served at any time of day. You can also make some banana bread using the same recipe, or use it as a base to make some classic banana bread.
Banana Upside Down cake is is a great breakfast or snack. Topped with fresh fruit, it serves as a healthy option for dessert.
- About 3 bananas sliced into 3 or 4 pieces
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 4.5 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
For the cake batter:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 overripe bananas-mashed (about 1 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ ts vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup yogurt or sour cream
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt to taste
For Caramel Glaze:
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 Tbps unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F, grease a square or round cake pan.
- Spread brown sugar in the bottom of the pan with the scattered butter pieces. Place the tray in the oven for 5-7 minutes when the butter has melted. Remove from the oven and toss evenly with the sugar on the bottom, then arrange the banana slices so that they cover the bottom.
- Mix the dry ingredients together (flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt) in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, add cream butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla and mix until combined.
Add the Greek yogurt and mashed bananas and mix them together.
- Run the mixer on low heat and add the dry ingredient mixture. Mix only to combine.
- Pour the mixture over the bananas, then bake for 30 minutes at 350°F, then reduce the heat to 325°F and bake for 25 to 35 minutes until a toothpick comes out completely clean.
- Invert it onto the plate after it has cooled completely in the pan. Use a knife to loosen the edges of the pan, place the plate upside down over the pan, and flip the cake over.
To make the caramel glaze
- In a casserole, combine butter, brown sugar, heavy cream, and salt and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Simmer on low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, then remove from heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Spread two-thirds of the mixture over the banana layer and the rest to serve.
- When serving, reheat leftovers and sprinkle them over each slice. Sprinkle with toasted chopped pecans if desired. You can also cover each slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- Serve the Banana Upside Down Cake and enjoy.