If you are looking for delicious white bread, look no further. That’s it!
This recipe comes from my grandmother and it is definitely our favorite white bread recipe of all time. The ingredients are simple, and the flavor, texture and consistency of this country-style bread are perfect. Country-style bread is made with unbleached coarsely ground flour, which makes it more rustic. If you don’t have a mill, or you only have ordinary all-purpose flour to use, don’t worry. I have achieved great success with both types of flour.
- 3 cups lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. yeast
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 6 – 7 cups unbleached ground white wheat flour (You can use regular all-purpose flour with success as well. You will need more flour… closer to 8 cups, and it will make a softer, less coarse bread.)
Note: 1 Tbsp. vital wheat gluten (if using whole white wheat flour)
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and sugar.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Add oil the salt and flour (starting with 6 cups of flour) and mix them all together.
- Knead the dough well until all the ingredients are combined, and the dough becomes soft, elastic, very sticky and pulls away from the bowl (6-10 minutes). While kneading the dough, you can add more flour as needed, and repeat the process until the dough reaches the desired consistency.
- Cover the bowl of dough with a dish towel or plastic wrap and let it rise until doubled (an hour or more depending on your kitchen temperature.) You can speed up this process by placing the covered bowl inside the oven with the oven light on. And another bowl of warm water on the bottom shelf.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Move from the pan to a metal rack to cool.