The golden crust locks with cheese in the thin, moist, and creamy center of this zucchini dish. This zucchini bread recipe is easy and irresistibly delicious.
This recipe contains simple ingredients and it comes together quickly, making it perfect for busy weekend days. This is the ultimate comfort food – very satisfying but mostly light veggie.
- 3 lbs green zucchini (6 medium)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt divided (1 tsp for sprinkling and 1/2 tsp for casserole)
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 cup sour cream (divided into 2/3 and 1/3)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs (large)
- 1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash seasoning or your favorite salt-free seasoning
- 8 oz Colby jack cheese 3 cups shredded (or use Mexican cheese)
- 1/2 cup chives chopped, plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F and butter a 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- Grate the zucchini into the large holes (the grate attachment on the food processor makes it super easy!). You should have 7 to 8 cups before it dries up.
- Transfer the shredded zucchini to a colander over the sink and toss with a teaspoon of salt.
- Leave it for 10 minutes, stirring a few times, then squeeze the excess moisture out of your hands.
- Transfer the drained zucchini to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix 2/3 cup of sour cream with 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder and leave until the zucchini drains (8-10 minutes).
- In a mixing bowl with drained zucchini, add 4 eggs and sour cream mixture.
- Add the cooked rice and 2 cups of shredded cheese. Stir in 1/2 cup chives, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon Ms. Dash seasoning.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered casserole dish and lightly brush 1/3 cup sour cream over it.
- Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese on top and bake in the middle of the oven at 400°C for 40 minutes.
- Leave it for 10 minutes before serving.