This salad of cabbage and peas is vivid, crisp, and flavorful. The sweet explosion of flavor from the peas, as well as the simple zesty dressing, will delight you.
- 1 medium cabbage, 2 to 2 1/2 lb, extremely finely cut
- 1 English cucumber, half-circled thinly sliced
- 2 cups thawed sweet peas in cold water
- 1 bunch chopped green onion or chives
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or more to taste)
- 3–4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or sunflower oil
- 2 Tablespoon white vinegar, or salt and pepper to taste
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Remove the delicate outer leaves of the cabbage and slice thinly on a mandolin. The core can be discarded or eaten. Fill a large mixing bowl halfway with shredded cabbage.
- Toss lightly to mix sliced cucumbers, thawed peas, and green onion.
- Toss salad with 3 to 4 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, and 2 tablespoons white vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving (start with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and work your way up). If your cabbage is larger, you can add more vinegar to taste.