Cabbage Roll Soup
Hi, Friends! Are you looking for a comforting, unstuffed cabbage soup recipe? Since it’s been so cold lately, I’ve been craving a bowl of hot soup to curl up with. One of my favorites growing up was my mother’s cabbage roll soup. For me, it evokes memories of childhood and fireside chats with my family around the holiday table. It’s like a hug in a bowl! While delicious, making cabbage roll soup can be quite time-consuming (and who has the patience to make homemade cabbage rolls?). So, we got to work on creating the perfect quick-cooking cabbage soup! We used lean ground beef and long-grain rice so to create those same flavors without all the work.
- 4 cups chopped green cabbage
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 8-ounce cans of tomato sauce
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 Teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 Teaspoon parsley
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 2 Teaspoon small garlic
- 1 onion diced
- A pinch of salt & pepper
- In a large pot heat the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then add the ground beef.
- Cook, breaking up the meat with a spatula, until the beef is browned, 5-6 minutes. Cook for 3-4 minutes after adding the onion and garlic.
- To the pot, add the cabbage, carrots, beef stock, tomato sauce, rice, bay leaf, and brown sugar.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and cook for 25 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Serve garnished with parsley.