Rajma Pulao is a one-pot protein-rich meal for my family that I can make within minutes.
and with all the time ingredients available in my pantry.
A nutritious wholesome meal that you can pack in lunch boxes or make for quick-fix lunch or dinner.
A simple flavorful meal that even your kids will relish with sweet curd yogurt.
It is a budget-friendly and time-saving meal for your entire family especially for those times when we run out of veggies or want to make something wholesome in a jiffy
- 1 1/2 Cups Rice (Preferably Basmati or any long
- grain variety)
- 1 Cup Boiled Rajma (can use canned)
- 1/2 Cup Onions (roughly Chopped)
- 1-2 Tomatoes (roughly Chopped)
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves
- Fresh Ginger (small piece)
- 1-2 Green Chilies optional
- ¼ Cup Finely Chopped Cilantro/Fresh Coriander
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Dry Whole Spices
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Small Cinnamon Stick
- 4-5 Cloves
- 4-5 Black Peppercorns
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 1 Star Anise optional
- 1-2 Dry Red Chillies optional
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- Powdered Spices
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder optional
- 1-2 tsp Garam Masala
- Salt as per taste
- Gently wash 2-3 rice in tap water.
- Soak the rice in water for at least 20 minutes.
- instant pot method
Plugin Instant Pot. Set SAUTE MODE to ON for 10 minutes.
- When the screen HOT appears, add oil.
- Next, add all the spices along with the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crack, add the roughly chopped onion and fry for 2-3 minutes. Then add garlic and ginger paste.
- Cook until the smell of raw garlic is gone and the onions turn light pink.
- Then add the tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are soft and tender. You can cover the instant pot with a lid.
- Add boiled red kidney beans, garam masala, red chilli powder (if using)
- Make a rough paste of ginger, garlic, and green pepper. Skip the green pepper if you are using red pepper powder or vice versa. Or use both according to your spice tolerance.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice and add to the pulao masala.
- Add salt and stir a little.
- Add about half a cup of water, and check the water level, it should be a little higher than the rice.
- Unlock the SAUTE MODE and cover and close the lid.
- Set the pressure cooker setting too. Set the COOK TIME to 6 minutes.
- Once 6 minutes are up, wait for 2-3 minutes, and quickly release the pressure. Open the lid and check the Pulao.
- Add chopped coriander/coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with chutney, plain yogurt, or raita of your choice.
Note: The whole spice in Pulao adds more flavor and aroma, but it can be skipped or added depending on availability.